Thursday, November 13, 2008

you guys

I realized the other day that I no longer use the word "you" in its plural form (which is still "you") and instead I use "you guys". Even when I'm referring to women. I do this because in America, using you as plural confuses people and they think you're addressing just one person in a group. At least that's been my experience. I don't like how "you guys" sounds, so....

I'm going to embrace my Texanism:

Coming to a conversation near you soon...

"Y'all"

As in "y'all better not be makin' fun of my accent when I say y'all".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lesson two: The plural of "y'all" is "all y'all".

I do love "y'all". It sounds a little backwards, but is so gender non-specific, I love it!

Mandie said...

LOL! I'm working my way up to "all y'all". I'll be incorporating that into conversations in 1Q2009 :-)