Tuesday, December 02, 2008

on a more positive note...

Thanksgiving was delicious! Some of the highlights:

Baked Brie with cranberry and walnut - I didn't make this but it is worth mentioning. Delicious! It's brie with a pie crust around it, and inside the crust is cranberry sauce and chopped walnuts with apricot.

Stilton cheese imported from England
- if you have never tasted Stilton, you really should. It's so flavourful and creamy, and goes so perfectly with a big oaky red wine. MMMMMMMM!

Homemade sage and onion stuffing - Darice and I bought freshly baked bread and made our own breadcrumbs for the stuffing. I sauteed onions celery and garlic in butter until the onions were soft, then added freshly chopped sage, garlic salt, and chicken stock, combined this all with the breadcrumbs, and baked it for 40 mins. Delicious!

Shiner Bock Turkey with sage, rosemary and garlic rub - I made a sort of pesto with fresh rosemary (swiped from the bush outside my neighbour, Jim's house - thanks Jim for letting me "steal" some), fresh sage, garlic, and olive oil. I rubbed this all over the turkey, and separated the skin from the breast/legs and stuffed a bunch under there too. This year we decided not to stuff the turkey since nobody ever eats the stuffing inside the bird. It kinda groses me out that it's been touching raw poultry. Anyway, I shoved some coarsely chopped onions up the bird's bum, and then poured in 2 bottles of Shiner Bock. I basted the turkey every hour with the Shiner, carefully pushing the baster into some small incisions in the skin to baste under the skin. Oh my! what a wonderful turkey!

Orange glazed carrots with ginger - I got the idea for this from weelicious.com (http://weelicious.com/2008/11/25/orange-glazed-carrots/) however, I modified it by using butter instead of vegetable oil. Far less healthy but oh so yummy!

Garlic mashed potatoes - Freshly chopped garlic, garlic salt, milk, butter, feta cheese. Mash it all together. Need I say more?

Homemade cranberry sauce - Just a bag of Oceanspray cranberries, a cup of sugar, a cup of water/OJ or so, simmer and presto! way better than the crap you get in the can.

But the best part of all...

Best Bread Pudding
- all credit goes to Darice for making it, and to "Paula Deen, y'all" for coming up with it. It truly, absolutely, was the best bread pudding I've ever had. Ever. Seriously. Go make it. The recipe is here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/the-best-bread-pudding-recipe/index.html

Slight variation on the sauce though. We ran out of eggs and we didn't have brandy so we used rum. It was amazingly good.

Aside from the good food, we had good company, and Trent, as always these days, was a proper good boy. And we finally got to use that room at the front of our house... you know... they call it a dining room. It's not just a place for stashing your strollers anymore.

No comments: