Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Idol chatter 2009

I haven't blogged much about American Idol this season, mostly because I've been using Facebook to air my opinions. Tonight, though, Brian is working on the Honda (regular maintenance) and I have some time to kill. He doesn't get into American Idol, so I usually watch it alone anyway.

Alison Irahita took on an Aerosmith song. In fact one of my favourites. I thought she did ok. My issue with her is that she doesn't have much range. I think that she picks songs that suit her voice, and that is probably the only reason she's still around.

Anoop Desai has a lovely voice, but there's something about him that makes me think he's a jerk. I can't get past it.

Adam Lambert is probably my favourite Idol of all the seasons (ok, I loved Daughtry and David Cook too) but Adam's got a star quality and is the most unique contestant the show has ever had. My money is on him to win.

Matt Giraud is too piano bar. I think voices like his are a dime a dozen and he pulls some weird faces when he sings. I just can't get past it.

Kris Allen is completely forgettable for me. He has a decent voice, but I find myself forgetting his performances almost immediately. I think he's pretty, though.

Danny Gokey has an excellent voice and is very talented. Something about his face reminds me of Robert Downey Jr., although I don't think he looks like him. Danny's my #2 pick. I predict that he, Alison, and Adam will be the last 3 standing.

Lil Rounds has consistenly disappointed over the past few weeks. She started off so well but has completely lost herself in bad song choices. I completely agree with the judges on this one. Poor Lil. She seems sweet.

I was happy to see Scott McIntyre go last week. I felt like he got a lot of mileage out of his disability and he didn't measure up to the others vocally. I admired his attitude and how capable he was despite his visual impairment, though. A true inspiration that you can overcome almost any challenge.

So there you have it. I predict Alison or Danny will be the second to last person standing, and Adam Lambert will take the gold. Don't let me down, America. (I voted for both Danny and Adam tonight - probably a good 20 votes for each).

1 comment:

Terri @findingdrishti.com said...

i'm so glad you're an idol fan so i have someone to chat (comment?) with about it. :o)

i want danny to win even though his dancing is cheesy. he's got such a provocative voice and so much potential.

alison has her moments when i really love her, and she has moments when i could care less. but i agree she and danny will be at the top with adam.

now adam... ugh. i can't stand the kid. i can't believe simon hasn't called him out for being indulgent. he wears so many different costumes that if he were to have a concert all by himself, i'm not sure what theme it would take or what music to expect. joe and i laugh at some commentary that jb or sandy said on the radio about adam being "claire's rock"... and it's so true. he tries so hard to put his look together that it looks corny.

but we'll see how this season pans out. vocally, this is a very talented group - moreso than previous seasons.