Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Animal victims from Katrina

I've been trying not to watch the news when they talk about all the animals that are suffering as a result of the hurricaine. It just makes me so sad that I'd be in a constant state of crying if I read the stories or watched the news.

I can't imagine the horror of having to leave your beloved pet behind. They're so much a part of us that it would be like leaving a child. I just feel for all those people who have to live with the guilt of leaving their pets to fend for themselves. The water in the streets of New Orleans is toxic, there's no clean waterto drink. I know what this means for humans and animals alike, but humans have a choice. Animals don't.

Today I gave a donation to the Humaine Society Disaster Relief Fund. While it's just a drop in the ocean of what's needed, every little helps, and it makes me feel better knowing I did at least some small thing to help out. If I could have one wish right now, it would be that all those people get reunited with their pets, and that all the pets left behind somehow found a way to live through this. For those that didn't make it, I hope they didn't suffer.

There's a ton of focus on the human aspect of this disaster, I am so thankful that the Humain Society stepped up to the challenge of helping all those animals.

When I get home, I'm going to hug both my cats extra, and give them extra treats.

:'-(

No comments: