Friday, January 18, 2008

Another day wiser

As I stare down the barrel of another birthday it's time for a bit of reflection. Time is just whizzing by so fast now and it seems my body gets older but my soul remains the same. Thank goodness that there's someone around who's as immature as me - I'm talking about Barbie, of course. The only person who appreciates it when I send her a picture of my poop (which I did just yesterday). I remember thinking how as I got older the years seem to get shorter. Mike Harris explained to me one day that if you look at your age as a fraction it makes sense. And it really does. I just remember when I was a kid how the years seemed to go on forever, when I was 10 years old 1 year = 1/10th of my life. Now that I'm older, 1 year = 1/nth of my life and that bottom number just keeps growing and growing. After he told me that it made so much sense to me. SO thanks, Mike. Who knew you were such the wise (ass) man?
I'm now at that point in my life where all of my friends are married and having babies. I remember being in my 20's and thinking how far away that all seemed. Spending all my evenings downtown in bars. What's awesome is that I still have many of the same friends from back in those days. They've grown up with me, so to speak. Now my evenings consist of dinners with the girls, hanging with my boys and cats, and watching my little boy sleep so peacefully in my arms. I remember thinking in my 20's how boring that life would be. How I couldn't imagine being too old to go downtown every night. And now I really AM too old! Now 6th street has no appeal for me. I've traded in the evenings of yelling over the music to get myself heard for intimate gatherings on the patio of NXNW or some other kid-friendly venue to listen to my friends play. I've traded in Tequila shots for a nice glass of Chardonnay. I've traded in my wild moonings at Esther's Follies for trash talking in the back of a Pedi-cab on 4th street with the girls. I've traded in trying to dance on packed dance floors while trying to avoid some guy trying to dry hump my leg for two-stepping around my living room with Brian and Trent. I'm pretty happy with the way things have turned out.
This year I was given the best birthday present ever - news that Trent will be getting a cousin, and the wedding of two of my favourite people in the world. Life does not get much better than this.

No comments: