Thursday, May 22, 2008

Idol finale!

Last night after Trent went to bed, I watched yesterday's final performances show, then, because I knew somebody would let the cat out of the bag during the course of the day today, I stayed up and watched the results show. And it's a good thing I did, too because Mike Chapel popped up this morning to talk about it!

I thought both guys did a terrific job on their performances, though I had some mixed feelings about David Archuleta doing "Imagine" because he's already done it once, to that was a safe performance, a bit of a cheap trick. Having said that, though, I loved the performance and his rendition of it is by far the best I've ever heard.

The thing I like about having both the Davids in the Finale is the contrast between the two styles. I absolutely think that David Archuleta has an amazing voice, but we don't really hear him sing anything that rocks out. Mostly ballads and boy-band kinda material, which is nice, but it's very single-track. Conversely, David Cook seems more versatile. He is able to pull off a ballad, but really brings the house down when he rocks. As a recording artist, I think David Cook will do much better than David Archuleta.

So now I've aired my opinions, let me tell you what happened during the results show. And I imagine my situation isn't unique. Ryan was just about to announce the winner, envelope in hand... and the DVR cut off!! GAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!

Luckily, the news sites had already posted who won, but it's not the same as seeing it yourself!

I'm not going to mention which David won because in England they see the show a few days after we do here in the US, and I don't want to spoil it for my mum :-)

I'll just say this. For the first time in American Idol history, the person who should have won the competition did win the competition. Way to go, America! Way to do the right thing. Now if only you can do the right thing and get those damn republicans out of the White House! :-P

No comments: