Friday, August 22, 2008

Is that a carrot in your spagetti or are you just happy to see me?

So thanks to my brother in law's wonderful girlfriend, I have this book called Deceptively Delicious. It was a birthday present. It's a cook book. You probably don't know this about me, but I can't follow a recipe even if my life depended on it. But I have found this book to be very useful. It gives me ideas for things to make, and teaches me how to "smuggle" vegetables into dishes without being detected. So I don't follow the recipes exactly, I always put my own twist on it, but the basic principal is really good, and it inspires me to concoct my own creations. The gist of it is this... you buy a bunch of fresh veggies, steam them, and then shove them in the food processor (individually, not all mixed together) to make purees. You can then freeze these in 1 or 1/2 cup quantities (depending on your needs) and use them in recipes. Here are some of the things I've smuggled veggies into of late:

Garlic and blue cheese mashed potatoes (with cauliflower)
Spaghetti and turkey meat balls (with carrots)
Penne pasta with Italian sausage and feta (with zuchini and squash) - my own concoction

The first two, Brian could not detect the veggies. In the third one he said "something is off". But he ate it, so mission accomplished.

The reason for this culinary trickery is threefold:
Firstly, I want Trent to eat vegetables, and a lot of times he does, but I want them in every meal, and sometimes if I serve him veggies he will push them aside in favour of the carbs and meat on his plate.
Secondly I like veggies, and I want more of them in my diet, and I don't like fruit much, so I am trying to compensate for that by adding more vegies.
And thirdly, and perhaps the most controversial reason, is that Brian doesn't get enough servings of fruit or veggies in a typical day because he chooses to eat crap. And I can get him to eat maybe a tablespoon of overt vegetables in a sitting, but that simply isn't good enough.

This strategy is not without it's down side, though. The book should come with a warning sticker that says "Warning: May cause husband to behave like you're trying to kill him if he discovers your evil plan to make him healthier".

Save the drama for your mama, babe. I'm trying to do a nice thing for you here, even if you don't see it that way.

No comments: