Sunday, March 11, 2007

Perfect day!

Well, almost! The only thing that could make it better would perhaps be winning a large sum of money. It started off like an ordinary Saturday. We hung around the house and ate breakfast. Then as I was telling Brian that we are now in our 7th month!!! (can you believe it??) and that if the baby were born prematurely now he would more than likely survive (which is really cool), he told me the best news ever. And I really wasn't prepared for how it made me feel, either. In fact, when he told me, I totally burst into tears. What was the news??? I guess you'll have to just keep reading ;-)

Then I talked to Barbie, who had just received an offer on our house. This one was good! We've had multiple offers over the weekend and this one was the most solid, so once again our house is under contract. And after only being back on the market for 5 days. I met Barbie at Starbucks to sign the counter offer.
Meanwhile Brian spent some quality time with Onyx laying on the hammock in the back yard.
After signing the papers, Barbie and I went to the Tattoo shop up the street to see if they could help me with my belly ring. It's getting to the point where I might need to think about taking it out, but I'm kinda stuck in it. I can't get the ball off. So we talked to the heavily pierced guy at the tattoo place who assured me that he could get it out without hurting me, and advised me to buy a flexible pregnancy ring to put in it so that it wouldn't close up and I could put my usual silver ring back in after the pregnancy. They didn't sell those so I had to order one from the Web. But the good thing is he will take this one out and put the new one in for me.
Meanwhile Barbie is ogling the tattoos. She's wanted one forever so she picked out one she liked, took a pic of it with her camera phone and we went on our way.
When I got home Brian and I made the house ready for the slew of showings we had scheduled that day, then vacated and headed to the library in Cedar Park where we copied some info from a back issue of Consumer Reports about refrigerators. I've never actually been to a library in the US. Of course, they're very similar to the ones in England, but it's just funny that I've been here for almost 15 years and hadn't set foot in a library.
Afterwards we had lunch at Whataburger, then went to Barbie and Scotts to play some fusbal and hang out while our house showed.
As the boys played fusbal, barbie and I went back to the tattoo shop with a picture of what Barbie really wanted, and the guy at the shop sketched it out for her. It looked awesome, so she decided to go with it, and fortunately he did not have an appoitment until 8pm so he could fit her in.
Barbie took the pain like a woman! ( would say man, but we all know that men are complete pussies when it comes to pain). Her tattoo is awesome, and very ballsy for a first tattoo. It's a butterly at the bottom of her back, then a series of smaller butterflies of varying sizes going up her back. It looks awesome! During the tattooing the boys showed up briefly to take a peek, then headed back to the house for more fusbal.
When we got back to the house they were still playing, and continued to play for several more hours!
We ordered pizza and a small impromptu party broke out. Mike and Tara showed up, Michelle and Ginger, and even Sifu Paul, my old kung fu instructor. And of course, our favourite out of town guests, Chad and Kim were staying at Barbie's this weekend.
While the boys watched basketball and played fusbal, we girls hung out, waxed off some unwanted hair, and Barbie painted my toes for me, which I'm now having a hard time reaching.

Around 10:30 the munchies hit and the girls piled into the car to pick up cheesecake. mmmmmm. Cheesecake. I'm ashamed to admit that I ate three slices. In my defense, though, they were tiny slices and all three pieces wouldn't make up one piece of the cake from the Cheesecake Factory. Although I am afraid to get on the scale this morning.

After everyone started to pass out from carbs we hung out on the patio and enjoyed the beautiful Texas weather before heading home. I love the weekends. Especially when they start out unplanned and end up being such a randomly awesome day.

The guy who put in the strong offer on our house agreed to the counter offer and we now have a contract! Barbie and I are both relieved that the deal with the other people didn't work out because we're getting what we want for the house, and the buyer seems a lot less high maintenance. I have a really good feeling about this one. Oh, and best of all, our move in/out dates line up so perfectly, that we won't need to cancel our trip to Chicago, and will have plenty of time to move out, without incurring another mortgage payment.

So what was it that Brian said to me this morning? let's just say we now have a first name picked out for our baby, and it means SO much to me that our child will have this name. I didn't quite realize how much it meant to me until he told me we could use it. It surprised him too, that I reacted that way and he said if he had realized just how important it was he'd have decided a lot sooner! I think I always knew he'd come around but I didn't want to pressure him into something he wasn't comfortable with, so I just let it sit for a while. Meanwhile our friends didn't (you know who you are!). But Brian's never been one to bend under peer pressure so it had little to no effect anyway.

So that was my pefect day.

3 comments:

Wassim Melhem said...

We discussed the name as a team in California, and we agreed that the whole story about the Trent river and the homeland is quite moving. He can't compete with that.

Interestingly, I just googled for a Trent River in England and it does not exist ;)

Mandie said...

I should thank you and the team for whatever you said that changed his mind :-)
It was the right decision.

Anonymous said...

I vote for "Spike" for a middle name.