Tuesday, March 18, 2008

American Idol

It's that time again. I'll admit it, I'm an AI addict. This season the judges are saying this group is the most talented ever, but I'm not sure I can agree with that when you consider Chris Daughtry and Melinda Dolittle and Cat McPhee in there, but there are a few Idols that do stand out for me. From the women, Carly Smithson is my top pick. That girl can really sing. And she has the most amazing blue eyes. I'm glad that the makeup dept. has changed her eyeshadow colour from that awful yellow/brown she puts on herself, though. It did nothing for her. She's looking hotter every week.

For the men, my top pick is David Archuleta. I have to admit that I have a mini crush on the guy. Something about him reminds me of Brian, though I can't quite put my finger on what it is. He's sooo frickin' cute because he's so humble and he completely blows me away with his voice.

David Cooke is my second choice for the men for singing He completely rocked out on Day Tripper, though I'm not sure what the weird tube on the microphone is. He started off as a bit of an uggo, but somehow he's gotten a bit more attractive. I guess that's what a good stylist will do for you. On looks alone, Michael Johns floats my boat, and I like his voice because he reminds me a bit of Michael Huchens from INXS, but I don't think he's gonna be the last man standing.

I like Brooke White because she's such a sweetheart. Kind of like the Melinda Doolittle of this season in "niceness" (though obviously her singing doesn't compare), but what the bloody hell was that she was wearing on Tuesday night?? that was fashion road kill if I've ever seen it.

Jason Castro is completely forgettable for me for some reason. I think he's a decent singer, but I just can't get into him at all. Maybe I just don't like his face. I agree with Randy regarding his performance of "Michelle". It was just alright.

I like Sayesha Marcado a lot. She's got a great voice and she's really cute, but I guess I was expecting a bigger sound from her. Something more Gloria Gaynor or Diana Ross or something. I was really surprised when she was in the bottom 3 last week and I don't think she deserved to be there over Jason. What's up with you America?

I like Chikezie. He's probably my 3rd choice in the men for pure talent. There's no question that he can sing. I didn't enjoy his performance on Tuesday night, though. It was a bit too "ho down" for me with the whole harmonica bit and the steel guitar.

Christy Lee Cook is, in my opinion, going home tomorrow night. She's probably the best looking contestant this season, and I do think she can sing, but the poor girl keeps choosing the wrong songs or maybe it's just the way she countries it up and the fact that I'm not a huge country fan. We'll see how this plays out.

Ramiele Malubay is a fashion disaster! What the hell was she wearing? Awful. In the past I've thought she was a good singer, but she is getting a little boring. Her performance on Tuesday was completely average for me. She tried to change the arrangement a bit, and I didn't hate it, but it didn't have me jumping up to dance in my living room. Though I have to be honest, The Beatles isn't really my cup of tea. I've never really connected with their songs.

Amanda Overmyer is somewhat unique because she has that raspy, gravelly, Bonnie Tyler/Rod Stewart kind of voice, but something about her performances bug me. She reminds me of a drunk aunt doing bad kareoke at a wedding whenever she performs. If you turned the sound off and just watched the visual, it's a bit embarrassing to be honest. It's just a good thing this is a singing competition.

So that's my Idol opinions for today. I'm sure I'll be blogging incredulously tomorrow when someone other than Christie Lee Cook, Jason Castro, or Amanda Overmeyer get booted off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am watching this year, for probably the first time as a dedicated fan. i agree with you on your comments completely. the two hotties are david and michael, without a doubt! and poor brooke wasnt dancing well in that yellow tent last night either.