Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Mid-week single parent update

My hat is off to those who take on the task of raising a kid alone, especially those who hold down a full-time job. Truly. Not to say that this week has been awful. Not by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, Trent and I are doing great and he's being the perfect little gentleman. The main challenges I face are getting myself and Trent ready in the morning and getting out the door at a reasonable time. Usually, Brian and I trade off getting ready while the other takes care of Trent's needs. Trent and I have a pretty good system, though. I get up when Trent wakes up and we go and get a bottle. Trent feeds himself his bottle while I make myself a cup of tea and get him some rice cereal, which I mix half of my yogurt into. We sit together and listen to the Radio or watch the morning news while we eat, then I sit Trent on the bedroom floor in my line of vision from the bathroom with some toys and he plays while I get ready. Then I change Trent's clothes, gather all the stuff he needs for daycare, gather all my stuff, and we're out the door. In all, just over an hour from waking up to out the door. That's not so bad.
I have been able to make it to my Martial Arts class on Tuesday and will be able to tomorrow thanks to Aunt Barbie coming over to hang with Trent. On Tuesday they had a fun evening as Barbie kept him entertained with a puppet show, among other creative things.
Our evenings are pretty relaxing. This evening Trent and I went for a run, then we played and Trent chased the cats around the house laughing hysterically. He also took an interest in the fish, trying to grab them through the glass. Around 8:30 he got his bath and we played with the bath toys. And by 9pm he was sleeping like a little angel. Awwwh!
Today one of Trent's teachers gave him a present. It's a blue onesie that says "Ladies' Man" on it. Very appropriate for Trent because he is such a flirt! The ladies at daycare just love him. That makes me so happy.

No comments: