Friday, March 24, 2006

Bad facial

I'm going to reveal a secret. I've been having a series of microdermabrasion done to help remove some of the sun damage (dark spots and freckles) from my face, and to remove these little white heads that seemed to have appeared on my cheekbones and around my eyes. It's been going really well, aside from the fact that the extractions of those little white dots are a bit painful because they have to prick them with a needle, and then use an extractor tool to kinda push them out. The next day and for several days after, I have little red bumps that kinda look like zits in the areas where they extracted. I can live with a little bit of ugliness in the short-term if the long-term affects are beautiful and youthful skin.
However....
Yesterday I had a new aesthetician do my facial. She cranked up the pressure on the microdermabrasion machine and it stung a little more than usual, which is fine. I can handle a little pain if it means I'll have a beautiful and youthful complexion. And the extractions went well. This is where it gets a little hairy... she then put a "light peel" on my face without preparing me for a) how it would feel, and b) what I'd look like afterwards or the next day.
So here's how it went:
"Oh MY GOD! it's stinging! OOOOWWW! it hurts. Why is it burning? it feels like a million fire ants on my face! Make it stop! MAKE IT STOP! OOOOOWWWWW!"
So she finally puts something on my face to neutralize the burning sensation and then moisturizes me and sends me on my way. And for the rest of the evening I'm RED and splotchy and extremely self-concious. AND to make things worse, I had dinner plans for Tiff's birthday and had to go and show my face in public! ACK!
Today I woke up and almost died when I looked in the mirror and saw Auntie Winnie. Those of you who have met her know what I mean when I say it's not a good thing. Those who haven't seen Auntie Winnie, just consider yourself lucky that the image isn't forever burned into your mind's eye. Anyway, my skin was all crusty and dry and WRINKLY from sleeping on my face. It was AWFUL. I got in the shower and I guess the heat and steam must have loosened the dry skin and it all started peeling.
Now I look like I have some weird peeling disease. And it hurts to smile.

I'm a little pissed off that they didn't prepare me for how this would feel and how it would look for the next few days. I'm feeling very ugly at the moment, and embarassed by my peeling face, and of course completely self conscious!

This had better be worth it!

oh, and if it's not bad enough that they made me look like a burn victim, the BOTOX issue came up again. Yea. Botox at my age? WTF? WHY would I purposefully inject my face with BOTULISM? WHY?
Don't get me started.

1 comment:

Mandie said...

Thanks. You are too kind. I guess it's because I've always had really clear skin that to have something so visible on my face is really traumatic! It's getting better.